Thursday, July 2, 2009

life to the full

Talking to my parents tonight reminded me to share something that I have experienced since being here... One of the guys Ive met - Kyle - his mom is really really sick with cancer. A rare form of cancer that the doctors cant do anything about. She has been fighting it for years, but this latest bout of it will probably be her last. That is the story I got the first night I hung out with my new friends here, after they received a text to say she was going downhill fast. A few days later I hung out with Kyle for the first time, and we stopped by his house so he could change. I entered a house full of love, but death as well, all mixed together. The family was all there, and I got to meet his mom too. She is a wonderful woman - completely selfless and full of joy. I got to experience a little piece of their life in this prescious time. Its a gift I couldnt have asked for. I have never been around anyone who is terminally ill, and because I hadnt known anyone there longer than a week, I didnt know how to act really. But this will surely be an experience I will always remember. We ended up staying with them longer and joining them on a walk with the mom (in her wheelchair) around the neighborhood. We fed the horses, and admired the giant houses and well kept lawns. And everyone held on to the moms every word.

Now, about a week later... it doesnt look like she is going to make it through the night. She is in a coma currently, and receiving phone calls with the final words of loved ones who couldnt be there.

And where do I fit into all this? Im just a tag along. Who has happened to be there for the calls and the text messages updating on her status, and happened to be there for her last walk around her favorite paths. I dont know what my place is exactly, but I feel incredibly blessed to be apart of this journey. Ive seen peace and love and strength and friendship in news ways. Ive seen family and community come together. Kyle's mom is a loved woman. She, and her family, have the prayers of many surrounding them right now. Please as you read this through a quick one up for the family as well. Thanks all. Be blessed.

No comments: