there are so many stories to share. So many words I want to write! My heart feels like it might burst with love for the people I have met here. I actually think I was in some sort of child-deprived state for the last little while in my life.. I forget how much I LOVE the little ones! I could stay at the preschool for days and days and not grow tired. Hot and sweaty. Yes. But those kids make me so happy. Today was the last day of teaching for some time as we are starting our next thing on monday. The rest of this week we are painting and repairing the two schools and the clinic with some of the money that was raised for this trip. There is one family in specific in this slum that has my heart. They live in a one room house (like everyone else there) with 11 in the family. The oldest boy is 21 and is the main support of the family. He hopes to move to America soon. The father is sick (we dont know if it is a disease that can be digagnosed or if it is spirits). The two youngest kids are in the preschool - Deeplata and Amardeep. Ive been to this family's home four times now I think, each time being served chai tea (it is made with goats milk so I can drink it!) We sit and hear stories and encourage them (the family knows our Father, but they are losing hope) and pray for them. When we go - in shifts - in the afternoons or evenings to the slum we do house visits and the feeding program, which is giving eggs and medicine to a few select malnurished familes.
Its strange actually.. today I noticed while walking over the sewage channels and through the dusty 'streets' of the slum that I actually used to the conditions these people are living in. Not used to it enough mind you to try USING the toilet system there (basically just pull the pants down and choose a corner. seriously.) But it doesnt shock me. I think these people now have names and stories and it has helped me to see the life there instead of getting overwhelmed by the lack of hope and the poverty. My face is known as I walk through the houses, and the children trust me. And even moreso with the ones that have been there for years serving this community. Im actually really sad to leave. But I know that I will enjoy the university as well, and the house visits and night shelter.
Also, every saturday weve been hanging out with the street kids in the area for a few hours.. but we see them every day at the community centre where we eat as well. We are able to play with them and hug them and when they need it, to feed them and bandage their wounds too. They too trust us and feel our love. I am actually disappointed when I leave from lunch without seeing them! Last friday a few of us went out to eat and just to walk around for abit in the evening and we ran into about 8 or 10 of these street kids. They were really hungry and were asking us for food. At first we didnt know what to do (the kids dont usually ask US for things, if they have needs they ask our friend who leads the program). We ended up running into our friend though and talking to him, and then went out and got some biscuits and water and crackers for the kids.. so they could share and take some home too. Then we just hung out with them for awhile and played. I didnt even notice at the time, but when we finally went away to get some food for ourselves I saw that they was a crowd of Indian people standing around watching us play. In fact.. almost every time we stop to hug one of the little ones.. we get the same kind of attention. And sometimes we even get people trying to tell us to stop because we are getting dirty. Im not offended or even sad when this happens. I know that for Indian people, this is just how it is. And the kids themselves are used to it. We are the ones acting differently. I just hope that through us somehow the kids will feel their worth and their value and feel loved. and that by our actions, the people watching will at least start thinking about these kids.. and start noticing them. Im very happy that we see them every day.
As for prayers. Please pray for finances for basically every one of our friends here. And for all the different projects. Pray against the lack of hope that is everywhere. And for our continued health.. weve had a few minor issues, but nothing too serious.
So this week we are painting and on sunday is our first day of real tourism... we are off to Agra to see the Taj Mahal. I will keep you posted.. Much love.
No comments:
Post a Comment