Tomorrow we are embarking on quite the adventure. Its called a crosswalk.
Basically the freshmen class has been split into groups of four. We will be driven to different locations and dropped off in the middle of nowhere with a big cross. We aren't supposed to bring anything with us besides a bible and journal and camera, and the clothes on our backs. We aren't supposed to ask any questions and are supposed to share the good news of Jesus' love to anyone who approaches us. If we don't find a place to stay on Saturday night we will get provided transportation back to the school. Otherwise, the goal is to make it back to the school Sunday evening.
At first, I really had the wrong perspective of this. I was thinking that it seemed a whole lot like testing God to see if He shows up. I didn't want to put myself in a situation just for fun to see if God feels like providing for us. After talking it over with some of my friends, and talking about it in class with our teacher, I am a lot more excited about this! Our teacher made the comment that if we make it a game, that's exactly what it will be for us. If we go into this with the expectation that God is going to show up and teach us something and reveal more of His character to us, then He will. The purpose is not for us, but for His glory. We are acting out exactly what Jesus told the disciples when he sent them out to do ministry. He told them to take nothing with them, but to trust in the Lord's provision. He told them to pick up their crosses daily and follow Him. This is a chance to take His word literally. To trust Him for His provision, and to trust Him by His provision. To follow His voice and speak with boldness into the lives of those we meet along the way. I know we will have to wrestle through discouragement and embarrassment. It will be a difficult experience. This week in class we have been learning about the works of the Holy Spirit. I think it has been the most well-rounded teaching on this subject that I have ever heard. I really really liked it. I actually feel like my heart has been awakened in a new way this week - it's been pretty cool! I have had such an incredible desire to be in prayer all week. I don't know if I have ever loved praying so much as I have this week! One of the things our teacher said that stuck in my head was that we need to put ourselves in a situation where if God doesn't show up, we are in big trouble. That's what the disciples did. Sometimes they even failed, but I think I would rather fail and be caught by God than live a simple life not expecting much. We are meant to be ushering in the Kingdom of God. This requires action and faith. This weekend will be a pretty good expression of that I think.
Please pray for us. It still makes me nervous, but I want to be challenged. I want to trust that God is good and big and full of love for people I have never even met before. I want to walk that out tomorrow. At the very least I will be experiencing what it would look like to be unable to hide the workings of Jesus in my life. Carrying a giant cross on the side of the road doesn't exactly scream out mediocrity or relativity. I think I need a little of this in my life.
No comments:
Post a Comment