Friday, January 14, 2011

On Faith

Step onto the path and let the scenery unfold.


So, I tend to be a person that claims quotes for myself. I think I subconsciously store things away that I hear for later use, or something. I guess I like to think I am original. (Don't we all!?) I sometimes get caught with it, and sometimes I catch myself doing it. I also like to make up answers for people's questions just so they get answered - but don't worry - I usually tell the person that I just made that answer up! All that to say, as far as I am aware, the above stated quote is my own. In the very least, it holds personal meaning to me.

I have always thought of faith through pictures. I see it in my mind like walking from stone to stone in a river, not knowing really what is ahead, let alone on the other bank. Or like walking into a shaded forrest where you cannot see past the outer trees. You don't know what lies before you but you trust the one who tells you to walk. You know that there will be beauty regardless. It's the promise we can hold on to.

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." Romans 8:28

This means a lot to me right now here at school. Just yesterday I had to say goodbye to three dear friends here at Bethany. It's been an emotional couple of days. You can sense the drain it has caused on the student body. It is hard to see friends leave, even when you know God has great things in store for these people. Through all the heaviness I have heard great words of encouragement and wisdom though. Mostly, it is amazing to see the faith that people have. So many students here are struggling for finances. Already we have lost 15 classmates just from our freshmen class and a number of those have been due to finances. It can be a hard pill to swallow. I know that God provides, and I have seen it done here time and time again. It's still hard. But to see the perseverance is encouraging. To see the hope. and to see the genuine love shared between those here. Community is not something that can be forced, but comes naturally out of the seeking and hungry heart.

One story in particular I think does a good job at explaining my thoughts about my statement on faith. One of our new students - Kelley - came here a couple weeks back with nothing. He came completely in faith that something would come up if he was meant to stay. I had an opportunity to get to know him a bit, and got to talk with him the night he was leaving campus. I was so encouraged by his attitude. His faith was not based on money, or school or even provision. His faith was based upon the knowledge that Jesus was with him and leading him on his great adventure of a life. He knows that all he is called to is obedience and that his own actions will add nothing to the beauty of his environment. The only beauty he knows is to follow the Lord, and he was excited to leave knowing that he gets to be with God no matter where he ends up. I really don't think this is a foolish way to live at all. Some might call it irresponsible to not have a plan or a fallback. I call it faith.

We are called to step out. To take the initial steps, and to even head into unknown territory. We are promised though that we do not walk alone. He will come alongside us to guide us and keep our feet steady... and to turn our eyes to His goodness.

Faith. Believing in what we cannot see. Hoping for what we cannot understand.

Even the smallest amount of this is enough to rearrange nature. How can we not stand up and boldly ask of the Lord to take us into new and exciting places!? We have nothing to lose by asking. God, increase our faith!

1 comment:

kd said...

thanks for this encouraging note jen.